24 November 2015

Modern Linen Baby Quilt


Earlier this fall, I dove into my linen scraps that my friend Lynn at South Street Linen gave me to play around with.  I've used some of her fetching hand-printed linen before, but this time I decided to use exclusively linen for the quilt top instead of mixing it with quilting cotton.




The result: a collection of unique rectangular blocks splayed out and sashed up with classically linen-colored linen. Sometimes sashing a spontaneously-layed-out quilt can be a challenge, and I try to think of each block AND its sashing as a unit to make everything fit together.


Although my diagram isn't perfectly square because of my photo angle, it hopefully helps clear up how I consider each block + sashing as a new unit.


Although I started with squared up pieces of fabric, linen is *so* slippery, so each block has a bit of a wonky, improvised feeling up close. 


To match this slightly wonky feeling, I used sets of three intersecting organic straight lines for quilting. 


The backing is mostly blue-gray with a pieced strip of some favorite AMH scraps. 


The binding is a dark charcoal for a subtle contrast. 


After washing, the linen makes for a delightfully squishy and substantial quilt! 

5 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE this quilt! The colors, the style the quilting all beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a bombastic quilt for a baby boy! Great work! I love it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely enjoying every little bit of it. It is a great website and nice share. I want to thank you. Good job! You guys do a great blog, and have some great contents. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, nice to see you! Sorry about the word verification but I've been flooded with spam messages recently. Thanks for commenting!