04 March 2012

Modern Mini Challenge Quilt: Spider Legs

Modern Mini Challenge
When I saw that Jennifer at Ellison Lane Quilts was organizing a mini quilt challenge, I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to work out an idea I had to make an improv chevron ring.  This is a really fun challenge, and there is a TON of inspiring work over there!

I'm all about a scrappy and bright look these days (fighting the late winter gray)!  It's made with some favorite scraps, Kona Snow, and Free Spirit Nugray. I bound it with my favorite DS Quilts print, and love what the variation adds.  I also snuck the DS Quilts dots in there :)

I'm not sure that this turned out like a real "chevron" ring.  It looks more like spider legs to me! It's ok, sometimes creepy works.

I did some random machine quilting in the ring, like a crazy star, and added some hand-stitched pink circles, too.  The mini is only 12x12 inches, so it's the perfect canvas for this kind of detailed work.

I'm going to hang it in my sewing space!  While I've made plenty of pillows and other small quilted projects, this is my first official mini quilt, and I think this challenge was the perfect thing to get me started.

It won't be my last.
Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. I love your fabric choices. Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so great! I love your colors and the hand stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! The fabrics are so different but complement each other so well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is a great idea! nice work its beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this one!! Swatches of color almost look like lots of dancing legs in groovy bell bottoms! :) Love the color combination.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is awesome! did you paper piece it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute! Thanks for entering the Modern Mini Challenge! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, nice to see you! Sorry about the word verification but I've been flooded with spam messages recently. Thanks for commenting!